ON DUTY CITIZEN
1) What are a few things you do to stay environmentally friendly?
I’m very conscious about the resources I use. I make sure I turn off the lights when I exit a room, I make sure I don’t leave the water running when I brush my teeth, things like that. I also always recycle and try to reuse plastic ware as much as possible.
2) Do you have any favorite sustainable or ethical clothing lines?
3) What are some of your favorite organic beauty products?
I love True Moringa’s lavender scented moringa oil. I’m also obsessed with their body polish that has coffee in it (it’s a great exfoliator). I also make my own face mask with organic coconut oil, cinnamon, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, and a few drops of Radha’s tea tree oil. -That sounds delicious!!
4) On a day off, you’re heading to your favorite coffee shop. What are you wearing?
Probably a pair of boyfriend jeans and a tank top. And if I’m lucky, sandals.
5) Tell me about something you’re doing simultaneously with modeling that motivates you. Another job? A project? Volunteering? A hobby?
I run a company called Tycoon. We have a digital product that helps freelancers record their jobs and remind them when clients should pay. Running a tech product is not easy so Tycoon takes up most of my time. The good part is that it’s not only my job, it’s also my passion to empower people financially. -Tycoon is so incredibly helpful! As a model, our jobs are so sporadic and we therefore don't always get paid on the same day each month. This app helps me keep my finances in check so I always know when I should be getting paid and so I know if I'm saving up enough money for investments and taxes.
6) In addition to modeling, what else may you be doing in your future, say 5 years from now?
Five years from now I hope I’m still running Tycoon. But if I’m not, I think I’ll probably be running another business. I’ve tried to imagine going to work for someone else but I don’t think it’s in the cards for me. I like having independence and I like having to figure things out for myself. Often it’s a scary place to be in but when you advance to that next step, it’s extra rewarding. -Jess also helps organize events with Aine Campbell (another ODM!) with her project Beyond the Runway; a get together for models looking to support and inspire each other.